This is an application that was written for a customer who wanted to see what broadcast transmitters were nearby. Ofcom produce a resource known as TXParams which offers AM, DAB and FM transmitter data (such as location, ERP, RDS and such). Their CSV files allow for easy handling of this information making it possible to display it in a user-friendly list or map…obviously with a little coding effort…
This solution lets you specify a frequency (or “all”) and select a range – you are then offered a list of matching transmitters/stations in order of distance from your location. Uses include: Identify a potential frequency for a new service (like a Community Radio Station) or simply to find out what stations are nearby and what services you can get from a nearby DAB multiplex. An option allows you to filter for nearby Community stations. You can also find for a specific service within a set distance, eg: Find all “Heart” transmitters within 50 miles of Bristol and so on.
Examples of use :
- Identifying potential frequencies for a new service on AM or FM
- Finding out how many Community Radio stations are within nn km/miles of you
- Finding all transmitters for a particular station within nn km/miles of you
- Seeing what DAB services you can pick up when you travel to a different part of the country
- See the heights (above sea level) and aerial (above ground) of DAB+FM transmitters
- Can “grab” a Google Maps URL from the clipboard
Results offered included: Distance, Frequency, Station/Service, Location/Site, In-Use ERP and Site/Aerial Height. Additional features available to the client included an ERP filter plus a “clear frequency search” offering potential “gaps” on the AM/FM bands. This works via the location+range filter plus removing frequencies +/-200KHz (18KHz for AM) either side of the “offending” service – a very non-scientific method but provides a general idea of how cluttered the band is.
RadioLookup v1.1 Setup
The unregistered version is free and can be used as often as you like. Over 80 pre-set locations are included, but up to 100 can be defined. You can run the latest installer “over the top” of an existing one without losing your location presets, it’ll just update the OFCOM database (which is supplied with the installer).
Additional Features in Purchased version:
- Show Individual DAB Services [example]
- Find Available AM/FM Frequencies [example]
- List TXs at this Site [example].
To register your copy and unlock the extra features, a one-time payment of £10 is required. Click here to make a £10 payment via Nochex.